FRESH FOOD FOR ALL
Harvest Day brings fresh, local product directly into your community at prices affordable to all. By combining the local farming and distribution expertise of Our Harvest with the place-based focus of anchor organizations in Cincinnati neighborhoods, Harvest Day helps to build a more accessible and secure local food system for all Cincinnatians. Harvest Day partnerships bring members of the community together around a fundamental right: fresh, healthy food.
By utilizing the Produce Perks nutrition incentive program, Harvest Day participants who receive SNAP/WIC benefits can purchase $20 of produce each week for just $10. The matching dollars made possible by Produce Perks increase the affordability of nutritious fruits and vegetables for individuals and families.
A model: Harvest Day at New Jerusalem baptist church
The first Harvest Day partnership was created with New Jerusalem Baptist Church (NJBC) in 2015. Here's how it works:
- Our Harvest provides a weekly produce availability list to NJBC
- NJBC congreation members who have EBT cards are able to purchase the vegetables they want at a wholesale price, as well as utilize the Produce Perks matching dollars to stretch their benefits
- NJBC congregation members who do not use EBT cards purchase the produce at a marked-up price (determined by the church), with the extra funds going toward the Youth Ministry's Historically Black Colleges and Universities Tour [marked-up prices are still below standard farmers' market prices]
- A church volunteer totals up all of the orders and sends the quantities to Our Harvest
- Our Harvest delivers the produce to NJBC each Thursday; volunteers divvy up the individual orders, and participants pick up their order right there at the church
Become a Partner
If you would like to bring Harvest Day to your community, complete the form below and we'll contact you to follow up.